Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Birthday Caleb


Today is Caleb's birthday. He is FIFTEEN years old. It's hard to believe. Seems like it was just a few days ago, I was searching my closet for a dress big enough to fit my huge pregnant belly so I could go to church for Mother's Day. I gave up and stayed home, waiting to go into labor. I never did. My midwife induced me when I was a week overdue. Once my contractions took off with Pitocin pumped into my veins, the doctor overseeing my midwife came into my room and suggested that I be taken to the main hospital for a cat scan. Not of my brain, but of my abdomen to measure my pelvis and the baby . While in the cat scan machine, I panicked and the nurses pulled me out. I said "I can't do this, I'm in labor". Apparently they didn't know that little tidbit. They assured me if I'd lay back down they would do the test real fast. So I laid down and recited Psalms 23 while a nurse held a cold washcloth to my face. It was soon over and I was wheeled back to labor and delivery. My doctor soon came in with the cat scan results, "we think your baby is 5,000 grams". I'm thinking "what does that mean?" He explained, "You are carrying a child that weighs between 10 and 13 pounds; if you want to deliver this baby naturally it's your own risk, I won't help you." So, I consented to a c-section, God's provision for Caleb to be born without any birth trauma, and delivered a 11 pound 12 ounce butterball baby boy. We broke the record for the biggest baby, both for the doctor and the hospital.

So, here we are now, fifteen years later, and my butterball baby has grown into a handsome, sensitive, loving, and super-smart young man.

I'm proud of you Caleb Christian.

I love you.

Happy Birthday.

No comments: