Saturday, January 29, 2011

have fun

I love to laugh and joke and cut up and tease people. I appreciate Caleb's sarcasm, miss my dad's dry humor, and think news bloopers are hilarious.  I love people who don't take themselves or life too seriously.  I've been bungee jumping with my friend Laura, parasailing with the hubs, ridden a camel with my pastor, and had the driver intentionally throw me and my girl friends off the banana boat.  And don't get me started about roller coasters.  I love roller coasters.  I once rode one a dozen times in a row. Put me in the front seat and let me scream in terror and delight. My favorites are the wooden ones that go 60 mph and make the creaky, clangy sound that convinces you that the whole thing is about to break apart.

I don't think there is enough fun being had in our modern day stressed-to-the-limit days.  There is plenty of stuff that brings us down.  Are we making room for what lifts us up?

And David was greatly distressed; for the people spoke of stoning him,
because the soul of all the people was grieved,
every man for his sons and for his daughters:
but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.
1 Samuel 30:6

Modern versions say David strengthened himself in the Lord.  This tells me two things.  One, God puts some stuff on us to do.  We have a part to play in getting the encouragement and strength we need.  And two, how do we get strength?

.....the joy of the Lord is our strength.
Nehemiah 8:10

How many times has a good laugh brought some relief during a crisis?  The bible says a cheerful heart is good medicine (Ps. 17).  Is your life full of tough things?  Are your days consumed with responsibility? Then make sure you leave room for fun.  It will help.  Joy will strengthen you. Have an arsenal of coping skills that lift you up when you are down. If you take the time to enjoy yourself today, you will be refreshed and stronger for tomorrow.  Do you have a strained relationship? Find a way to create some light-hearted moments together and see if that helps.  Rent a comedy, hang out with friends, play Twister, ride your motorcycle, borrow your brother's convertible and take a ride on a sunny day.  Go camping, swimming, boating, skiing, dancing, hiking.  Ride the roller coaster. Lighten up. Have fun.  Live life!

Here are a few funny videos if you need some laughter right now.  This instant.  I need some joy, April.  Okay my darlings, I got 'cha......







No comments: