Monday, February 11, 2008

Evil Intent???

In response to Alex's question from the post "I have a dream" http://aprilchapel.blogspot.com/2008/01/i-have-dream.html , asking if I agreed with the thought that Joseph's brothers didn't intend to harm him but were playing a practical joke....

Well of course the bible doesn't always reveal what intentions were at work so we have to look at the facts. Seems to me that after playing second fiddle to a favored child all those years, those brothers might harbor some jealousy and ill will toward Joseph. In Genesis 42 the brothers claim responsibility and accept guilt so I'd say their actions were intentional. Even if they weren't, there are always consequences to our actions.

When it comes to the human heart, I think if we are not purposely intentional about being kind and loving, we'd be left to our own devices and wound our brothers and sisters all the time. Jeremiah 17:9 says "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?". If we don't turn to the Lord and seek his heart about how to respond to each other we would make foolish decisions that cause damage to each other's hearts and lives like Joseph. We'd throw each other into the pit and sell one another into slavery. Did Joseph's brothers seek the wisdom of God about how to handle their feelings toward Joseph? I'd say that's a big NO. I'm sure they didn't think this through, consider what affect it would have on their father, or their relationship with God. We do the same thing today. Although we are not accountable for each other, we are accountable to each other, and of course we are accountable to God.

A while back I went to a friend about a wound they had caused me. Wanting to be honest and direct and repair the relationship I, in love, expressed how my heart had repeatedly been sacrificed to placate someone else. My friend's response was "well, I didn't intend to". Well, okay, but they also didn't intend to do anything other than expect me to patiently endure disrespect. I would have appreciated, "yes, I did not treat you right, let me now mend the damage."


Lord, help us be mindful of the effects our decisions will have on tender human hearts. Teach us to treat one another in love. You are love. Pour Your love in our hearts.

No comments: