Thursday, July 10, 2008

Where brethren in unity dwell.....

I'm curious if anyone else is hearing the Spirit of God speaking to the church about relationships.

When I was in Atlanta at Christian City Church, the Pastor described the mission of his church as "connect-driven". He said that the church was committed to connecting with God and to connecting with each other. He spoke about discipleship best taking place in relationships, and the church was designed to encourage that. They had a website for the church members, to promote social networking, and help people meet and get to know each other. There were different small groups with various interests to join. There were groups for single moms, homeschooling families, cyclists, organic eaters, and those who like Chuck Norris. One of the groups had just come back from a motorcycle trip, and the members would post and chat about their day on the group's web page. I'm thinking, "This is so simple. How is the church missing this?"

Then last Sunday our family visited a church that a family friend pastors. He talked about the same thing. About how the early church was connected to each other.... they met together, they ate together, they worshipped together. The church of Acts was bonded with each other and directly involved with each other's lives. When one had a need it was easily met because the connection was already there. Pastor said, "we don't need to be unprepared for times of crisis...."

I completely agree with this, but I feel like it's a challenge in the body of Christ. I've seen and experienced a lot of relational abuse and neglect in the church the past few years. Seems like connecting, bonding, sharing your heart and your life with other believers is not a driving force. Someone in church leadership recently said, "I'm sorry, we're just to busy doing ministry to have time for you" (my paraphrase, but same message). Numbers, programs, strategies, and agendas have taken priority over the more vulnerable and sensitive areas of ministry that I'm driven toward. This makes me feel like "I don't' fit" in many ways, but I know I'm not alone.

Could it be that because connection is so powerful, and because God does His work though people, that it's so under attack?

More later......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

can't believe i forgot to tell you this- but there is a GREAT book that is challenging- it's called...
the connecting church
:)
i don' thave a copy i read my parent's- but if you could get your hands on one- i think you'd love it.