Friday, January 9, 2009

The Trashmen's Cheesecake

Some of you may get a kick out of this.

The week before Christmas I like to give our trashmen and mailman a little treat to thank them for their service to our family. I make cheesecake or cookies. This year it was cheesecake. Leaving a huge slice of cheesecake in the mailbox is pretty easy, but finding a way to leave a cake for the trashmen, without them, you know, thinking it's the trash, is another story. I'm tired of watching my homemade confections being chunked into the back of a slimy garbage truck. So, this year, I put more effort into letting the trashmen know "I'm leaving something for you, it's not trash, I want you to have it and eat it". I found a cardboard box (it has to be disposable, just in case), typed up a sign, and put a bow, Christmas card, and disposable cutlery on the cherry cheese pie (without the cherries). It made it this year and I even filmed the gift-receiving from the dining room window. I still am amused by the confusion on the worker's faces when they realize they've been left a gift. This says to me that they aren't expecting to have anything left for them beside the trash on the trash day before Christmas. Help me people, let's remember our sanitation workers at Christmas.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is precious.

all of it. :)