Thursday, October 25, 2007

Repentance

My spirit has been stirred up for two days; maybe venting here on my blog will help settle me down. This week it seems like everywhere I turn, I am reminded of our need, as Christ-followers, for the conviction of the Holy Spirit that leads to repentance. Well, not so much our need for it, but rather our refusal to do it. It seems to me that even in the Christian communities, arrogance, pride, and rebellion rule in place of humility, submission, and obedience. Yesterday I read in Isaiah 64:7 "No one calls on Your name or pleads with You for mercy". Why not? Are we so full of ourselves that we forget we belong to the Lord and are called to serve and obey Him? Where is the reverence? the fear of God? the willingness to surrender? And not to mention obvious sins.....do we think we can escape the consequences of our sins forever?

The Elijah in me wants to see the God of Fire come and consume our fleshly and evil ways. I want to see people who say they love the Lord treat each other with love. I want to see men and women willing to forgo their own agendas to fulfill the Father's mission. I want to hear the voice of the prophets and see response. I want our country to repent of our wicked ways and escape the judgement of a sovereign God.

Sigh.....yes, this helped. I feel better.
"I tell you again that unless you repent, you will also perish."
-Jesus, Luke 13

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in the bible study i'm doing we're dealing with repentance- the israelites begging for forgiveness but then reverting to their old ways.. over and over and over and over. it seems so obvious- God promises such goodness for obedicence- just like he does in my life, and i still return like a dog to the vomit... our flesh especially in a wealthy and self serving nation can be a strong thing to battle.