Sunday, February 1, 2009

Update

Bo finally saw a neurologist this past week. He was diagnosed with "post traumatic brain injury". Since I'm not there to go with him to appointments or ask the doctor questions, I contacted the army resource department and was directed to a website that explains the diagnosis. It scared me. People with less head trauma than Bo reported significant challenges physically and emotionally as a result of this kind of brain injury. From the little research I did, I feel like I know too much. The symptoms Bo is experiencing are memory loss, and extreme mood swings and irritability. His AIT (job training) will probably be delayed. He needs to rest and heal and is on medication to help his brain recover.

This week has been hard for me. I've been frustrated with the limited communication with Bo, and worried about his health. I've had to fight fear about long term disability that he may experience, and the relational struggles that may produce. Will he be the same man when the dust settles? Will the memory loss resolve? How does all this affect his army career? How will this affect our family?

The bright light in my dark week has been the sweet words from people who love me. More than five times this week I've been encouraged by people who either don't know me, or are old friends who've popped up with tender words that make me cry. Terry. Megan. Belinda. Billy. Joy. Angels of encouragement who've shown up at the right time to help me bear up under a heavy load.



When they walk through the Valley of Weeping,
it will become a place of refreshing springs.
Psalm 84:6

1 comment:

JOY said...

April ~ I have you, Bo and your family on my heart and mind. Prayers are being lifted up to our precious Lord continually for you all. I love you dear friend. All will be okay. God is in control and His grace is all powerful. Keep us posted, but until then, contact me anytime!!

Love and faith,

JOY:)