Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The wilderness school

David's time in the wilderness brought him into greater intimacy with God. It prepared him for his reign as king of Israel. Preparation time is never wasted time. David learned a greater dependance on God, for his physical, spiritual, and emotional needs. The difference between pre-wilderness life and post-wilderness life is the difference between Psalm 142 and Psalm 18. Psalm 142 was written by David while hiding in the caves. Psalm 18 was written after his wilderness experience. Psalm 142 says "I look for someone to come and help me; but no one gives me a passing thought! No one will help me; no one cares a bit what happens to me". But by Psalm 18 he is saying "The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation and my stronghold. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy of praise, for he saves me from my enemies." David learned to trust God to be his Defender, his Provider, his Protector, his Friend. He also trusted God to be Judge between him and Saul, and allowed God to avenge instead of defending himself. When we entrust justice into God's hands rather than our own, we stay underneath God's grace. Otherwise, we'd seek revenge which, in the spirit, puts us under the judgement of our accuser. We will all experience times of rejection, abandonment, unfair treatment, confusion, lack, and loneliness. But what we learn during these times can be priceless. As with David, they can help shape and prepare us for what God has next. Some things cannot be learned in the light. When you find yourself in this place, read and identify with David's heart in Psalm 142, then flip back and find your hope in Psalm 18.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for saying that. It helped me a lot today.