Monday, January 14, 2008

Pastor


This is my pastor. He has shepherded me for twenty-eight years. He baptized me in a swimming pool when I was ten years old, and again in the Jordan River when I was thirty. He trained me in ministry and has taught me the word of God. He's counseled me, encouraged me, and corrected me. I am very blessed to be a part of a small group of pastors and leaders that he meets with regularly for mentoring and impartation. I am truly blessed to have this godly, seasoned minister imparting God's wisdom into my life. He has always treated me with love and respect and has proven worthy of the place he holds in my life and my heart.

Last weekend I was in his house with the other pastors as he taught us about "celebrating personal repentance". He explained that repentance doesn't necessarily mean sin, it can just be "the old way". It means to "change one's mind after perceiving" and to leave what you formally embraced. I have been pondering this, and how we can apply this truth to our lives in 2008. What new and different things does God desire to do in us this year? I want something new to perceive, even if it doesn't look or feel familiar. I want my life to be full and interesting and I think God is always leading us to opportunities for this kind of repentance.

I know many of you are expecting, facing, and embracing new things this year in the natural. Some of you are welcoming children and grandchildren into your lives (one is adopting a baby girl from China!). Some are dealing with illness and treatments. I'm sure there will be financial challenges, difficult decisions, and surprise blessings. But, what does God desire to show us in the spirit this year? What new thing does He want to do in our hearts? What fresh knowledge will we perceive in 2008 that we never noticed in 2007? I hope you will join me in seeking the Lord in all things, to be willing to leave any old ways that need to be left behind, and embrace whatever God has for us now.


Love you, Pastor.

No comments: