Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Jesus My Protector

I am back from my trip, with praise in my heart. I am glad I asked for prayer for safe travel in my post last week, and THANK YOU to all who prayed for me. I was in a car accident on I-75 last Thursday.

I was driving to Atlanta with the three youngest boys. South of Macon, I noticed some activity ahead of me, a semi swerved from one lane to another. Next thing I see is a big white F150 type truck coming sideways across the interstate. He popped out from in front of the car beside me and side swiped me. He was pulling a trailer, and while going down a hill, the wind caused his trailer to sway from side to side until he lost control of his truck. He hit the guardrail on the right and bounced off back across all four lanes of traffic. He was trying to regain control of his truck when he hit me, in the far left lane. His driver side hit my passenger side, taking off my mirror, and leaving streaks of white paint on the side of my car. Miraculously, that was the ONLY DAMAGE!!!! The kids and I were unharmed; the little ones didn't even cry.

I was on the phone with Heather when the accident occurred. She heard the crash and immediately started interceding for us. I felt awful for scaring her but was so thankful for her prayers. I believe they were the reason I was able to bring the car to a sudden stop after being hit and forced onto the shoulder at 70 miles an hour.

I called the police, wondering where I was. I knew I was south of Macon but didn't know what exit I'd last passed. When the 911 operator asked me where I was, I glanced up to see a mile marker right beside me. So I was able to tell her exactly where we were and a trooper was there in minutes. He checked on the other guy, who wasn't hurt but his car had major damage, then he came to me. He asked me what happened and I told him the truck hit me. He said "the truck hit you? or the trailer hit you?" I said the truck; Caleb and I both saw him hit us. He stepped back and looked all over the side of my car, incredulous that there wasn't major damage. Perhaps my angel was right there by Caleb's window, absorbing the impact, keeping us from harm. There is still white paint from the truck on the passenger window, it was hit but did not break.


I called Heather back to let her know we were okay, and when the cop finished the report we continued on to Atlanta. I was shaky and nervous so Caleb got my Ipod and played Journey for me to calm down. Sweet boy.

Bo teases me about it, but when God gave me my car (for my birthday two years ago) I named it. She's female, I named "her". Her name is "Petra". The kids make fun of me too, when I say "Petra needs fuel". Petra means "rock" and she lived up to her name by being so strong for me!

Noah told everyone we visited over the weekend about how a big white car hit us, but God kept us safe. I love it.

I am humbled to think about what could have happened. I feel totally graced and protected by God. I would imagine that most interstate accidents result in much worse damage and injury than the "kiss" I received from an out of control vehicle.

I am alive. My children weren't hurt. I am thankful, and I give God the praise.

No comments: