Sunday, June 1, 2008

Milk and Meat

Have you ever noticed how having a word from the Lord changes everything? I want to share.

Recently I received communication from someone who had been my friend, but has had nothing to do with me for a long time. I was confused and irritated by their light-hearted, sing-song attitude. It was like this: "la la la la la, nothing ever happened, la la la la la, let's pretend every thing's fine". I was annoyed and couldn't shake my frustration. So, I kept bringing it before the Lord until He spoke to my heart about it.

He said to me "milk and meat" and immediately in my spirit I saw me, dressed as a cook, standing behind a buffet table. On one side of my table were glasses of milk, on the other, a side of beef for me to slice and serve. He was speaking to me about different levels of intimacy. Some people are happy with milk; others want the meat. The peace came when I realized the difference between the two.

In high school, I was blessed to have a Sunday School teacher named Martha. She taught "milk messages" and "meat messages" to our class. I even remember her once saying, "this is the meat part of the milk message". She was wise to acknowledge and minister to the differing spiritual levels of the disciples in her care.

Milk people aren't bad. We all start out on milk. God gives us milk as baby Christians but he expects us to grow and develop an appetite for heartier things. How pleased would He be if after twenty years, we were still on a liquid diet? It would be like still being in kindergarten when all your friends are graduating from college. Milk people can be very superficial; it doesn't take a lot of effort to acquire milk, it's pretty external.

"I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it.
Indeed, you are still not ready." 1 Corinthians 3:2

Meat people dig deeper into the food source and are willing to eat and digest what God feeds them (wasn't it Isaiah that ate the scrolls ????). They've moved past the milk stage and have cut their teeth on the Word of God (Matthew 23:23). This group is more receptive to the heavier things of God and life. They are willing to stand alone, and speak the truth in love. While it may not be easy, they are willing to address and resolve conflict.

So, now, back to my friend. I realized I was expecting a meat response from someone who only wanted a glass of milk. Realizing this helped me make sense of the confusion. For whatever reason, the capacity for the meaty honesty and resolution I desired was simply not there. You cannot get a fillet mignon from a milk maid. Knowing this in advance can save our hearts a lot of turmoil. For example, last year I went through a painful ministry experience. I asked for meat from someone I loved and trusted and had milk thrown in my face. Still not getting it, I continued to hurt, struggling with pain and confusion, expecting truth and forthrightness that a meat person would have extended. Pitifully, I continued offering my empty bun, wanting meat, asking "where's the beef?" (remember the commercial?).

Have you ever experienced this kind of struggle?
Then listen to me:
TAKE your BUNS to GOD.
He will fill you with the meat that you crave. It will satisfy the inner hunger than humans can not.

Whether someone is a milk person or a meat person in their walk with the Lord is between them and God. We are not to judge the depths of another's spiritual devotion . Taking care of our own spirituality is enough! But, in the area of friendships and communication, discerning milk people from meat people can be a good thing. It can be a heart-protecting principle to keep in your life. You can serve milk to those who deal in milk, serve meat for those who want the steak, and keep your peace!

No comments: