Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Today was my first Veteran's Day as an army wife! I celebrated it by getting a military ID, granting me base privileges and health care benefits. My army babies got IDs too, and my army car Petra is proudly bearing a Department of Defense badge (base decal) on her chest (windshield). My friend Staff Sargent Ristau did our IDs, actually took us into the marine base pass office here, after hours and did them himself. Thanks for the special treatment, Trevor....I mean Sargent Ristau.

I talked to Bo briefly this weekend. The command is in "Red Zone" for three weeks so getting a phone call was a rare blessing. He was able to call collect from a pay phone for a few minutes (all the cell phones have been taken up and locked away). Bo was very excited because he'd just been issued his M-16 rifle. He has to carry it on his shoulder everywhere he goes (he also has to have a "battle buddy" every where he goes, too). He was being nominated for platoon leader. I'm anxious to hear how that went. The training they are doing this week is basic rifle marksmanship, first aid (including administering IVs to their battle buddies...yikes!), field training, physical training (I think they march five miles), and the gas chamber (tear gas) to learn how to use chemical warfare equipment.

I'm proud my hubby is now a soldier and look forward to all he will do to serve our country and make us proud. Happy Veteran's Day.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Friend!!!
I am so proud of Bo and of you!!!! What a new and exciting adventure! I look forward to reading more about your new life and I hope this gives us the chance to see eachother a little more. I love you!
Laura