Sunday, November 9, 2008

Yucky Yucky

Yesterday afternoon Noah and I observed a vulture feasting on a dead squirrel in front of our house. Disgusting. He'd throw the squirrel about and pull his insides out, pausing only long enough to get out of the path of oncoming cars, then back at the slaughter. I explained to Noah that God made everything with a purpose and the vultures were designed to eat dead animals. They have the ability to consume bacteria-ridden carcasses and not get sick. How nice that they were responsible to clearing the roads for us.
We left shortly for a play date with some new friends. The whole ride over Noah is in the backseat reciting "vulture", "squirrel", "vulture", "squirrel".... Vulture was a new word for him and he was memorizing it. As soon as we stepped into the friend's house, Noah excitedly announces to the mom, "we saw a vulture, it was eating a squirrel". The mom said the same thing, about how cool is was the God assigned those birds the job of devouring roadkill.


Then last night, as I was preparing dinner before I left for Joshua's worship concert (which was AWESOME, more later), I heard Noah say "ewwwww, is that his blood????". Caleb was watching the movie "Castaway" on TV. Tom Hanks had sliced his hand open while attempted to crack a coconut. I asked him to change the channel and Noah came running, "Mom, I just love that Caleb so much, he let me watch a violent movie".


Oh, a gory day.

No comments: