Sunday, March 29, 2009

The anniversary of forgiveness

Two years ago this week, my husband and I were hurt badly by someone we loved. Not just loved, but trusted and served. The actions of this person toward us resulted in not only the loss of that relationship, but because of the nature of the connection, loss of finances, community, ministries, and friendships we'd spent a year building. Our entire lives were changed in one fail swoop while the offending party went on their merry way. While forgiveness was never asked of me, I gave it, and in the process learned many good things.

I know many of you have also experienced abuse. When it comes from someone in authority over you... a parent, a husband, a boss, a pastor, a teacher... it can be an especially hard pill to swallow. When it comes from someone who professes to love the Lord, it's confusing. When a person is supposed to love you, and rejects you instead, it can rattle your identity. Abuse devastates the heart. Physical, sexual, emotional, verbal...it's all bad. Unless we bring the broken pieces of our hearts to the feet of Jesus, it can continue to be bad... for days, months, years, decades.


This week I'll be sharing some of the things God taught me during my own journey of forgiveness, and I welcome your testimonies as well.

No comments: