Monday, March 16, 2009

Fighting the good fight

The boys and I (Joshua and Caleb, that is) watched the TV version of "Saving Private Ryan" last night. I'd never seen it, and now that we are a military family I'm watching more war movies. I was so struck by one of the final scenes and how it relates to my own life.

Tom Hanks was the main character and his team was defending a French town that held one of the two bridges that the Germans had not yet conquered. While they waited for their enemy, they planned their strategy, made bombs from scratch, divided up the guns and ammo, and placed dynamite under the bridge. They did all they could with what they had and when the Germans finally came with their tanks and weapons, they fought them with all their might. In an attempt to blow the bridge, Tom Hanks was shot twice and fell to the ground in front of a tank. The tank kept coming at him, and having no bombs or grenades to throw, he pulled his sidearm from his leg and began shooting at the tank. He might as well have been throwing rocks. The tank kept coming, he kept shooting. Wounded, exhausted, dying....he didn't give up, he just kept firing his handgun at an enemy that was way too powerful for him. Bang. Bang. Bang. Then suddenly, BOOM. The tank exploded as Tom looked up and saw a fighter jet flying overhead. Air support. Deliverance. Rescue. Better weapons and big guns.

I feel like Tom. His French town is my Albany. I feel like God brought me to Albany for a purpose and a lot of it required engaging in the spiritual warfare that is so prevalent here.

I've led others to Christ, bang. I've taught worship, bang. I've established ministries, bang. I've brought unity into segregated churches, bang. I've poured time and energy into others, bang.

I've encouraged and counseled. I've been patient. I've had faith. I've forgiven. I've loved.

Now this season of my life is coming to end. And, I'm tired. I'm wounded. I'm lonely. My heart has wrestled with a powerful enemy. I feel like I've done all I can do, and I trust that it was enough to make an eternal difference. I'm reminded of the scriptures in Ephesians 6 about the spiritual armor we are to wear. It says in verse 13 "having done all, stand". That's where my heart is, standing, waiting, weary. But I know that God never leaves me alone, and whether I am fighting or wounded, He is with me. Giving me strength. Healing my wounds. Lifting me up.

My Rescuer is coming. I am lifting my eyes to the heavens.

I can almost hear the jet now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was wonderful friend.

i know too that your time here is coming to an end. while i will hurt to see you leave, i will celebrate in your rescue and your future in the army. i believe you have only just begun and that the opportunities you will have to minister and be encouraged as an army wife will bring you joy unspeakable.

i love you.

Thomas Hale said...

Seems that our days in Albany are ending as well...moving to Russellville, Arkansas in June to reconnect to the church we help found in 1990 and to build an indoor skatepark. Albany has been a tough place for us as well, BUT just like David in the cave of Adullam, it has been a place to learn, not a place to live! God bless you guys.

Thomas Hale