Monday, March 30, 2009

Detour

Some offenses that we have to forgive have huge life changes attached to them. Like you are in your car, driving down the road, then out of nowhere BAAAM! you are pushed off the road and forced to go in another direction or even stop. Some of these changes might be "small" like an argument, family conflict or a failed business venture or "huge" like a family rift, loss of a relationship, job, freedom, health or even life. For me, the struggle with forgiveness over an offense with such ramifications is that it looks like someone has invaded my destiny and taken over control. I've at times questioned "can man change the will of God in my life?". Even though circumstances may appear "Yes!", and it feels like "Yes!", I believe that if you have surrendered your life to Christ, the answer is "No!". When I was hurting and confused, this was hard to figure out. What brought me peace was running to the Lord for truth. I love the truth. Even if it hurts. I can't stand for someone to say one thing to me but I know it's not true. In my particular situation, no truth was given to me from the offending party so I sought the Lord for it. Those of us who belong to God live in two different worlds at one time, the natural and the supernatural. I was getting no healing in the natural; I found it in the supernatural. God spoke to me, and then I understood that this detour was for the best. We can look at a circumstance and only see what we see, a small part, and often not even reality because our hearts can deceive us. God sees everything. Asking for His perspective was key. I did not want to go through the changes that happened in my life, but having His word in my heart brought peace about my detour. I trusted God. I felt secure. I knew He'd never leave me. Never forsake me. He'd provide for my family. He'd heal the wounds caused by man. I had to let a lot go in the natural, but I knew that God was at work in the Spirit.

Some really wonderful things can come out of dark places. Forced detours are not always "bad". It could be the only way we would make changes that would push us further along the path God ordained for us. Here's a fresh example. A friend that I love recently had some trouble and landed himself in jail. An arrest, huge bail, court date, all that. But in the process he bowed his knee, re-united with his family, and began a journey of restoration.

I believe that God's blessing are everywhere. On the mountain and in the valley. In the bright places and in the dark places. Sometimes we have to look for them, search them out, but if God is in our life, His goodness is there too.

No comments: