Saturday, May 19, 2007

Life Cycle

I think you'll have to click on this video to view it....couldn't upload it directly to my blog. It illustrates the thoughts I've had since yesterday.

A kind man from the car rental company gave me a ride to the body shop to pick up my car (another story for another day....). He asked if I was from Albany, what I did, etc and we shared conversation about living in Albany. He told me that he was raised and educated in Albany but planned to move away until a horrible car accident curtailed his plans. He was hit by another driver and was injured so badly he was in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks. He was unconscious when the jaws of life extracted him from his vehicle and woke up in the hospital with a broken hip, leg, foot, etc, wondering what had happened. I am thankful that I have never had an experience like this, but maybe some of you have. You're going through life, minding your own business, driving your little car down the road and out of the blue BAAAAMMMMM and you're whole life is changed. Your plans change, your health changes, your finances change. Or maybe it's not related to car accident at all...... you get a phone call from your doctor, your job is eliminated, you find drugs in your kid's room, your husband leaves. All these horrible tragedies are things people live with every day. I'm reminded that the ONLY thing in life that is totally secure and unchanging is God. His love never fails. Our worlds can fall to pieces around our feet but God will never leave us or forsake us.

I've also been pondering how this car rental guy must see life from an entirely different perspective now. He could have died. He probably sees a value to everyday living that many of us overlook. Life is short. There are no guarantees. Tomorrow is just a vapor and all we have is today.

From my journal:
God, teach me how to live my life on purpose. I don't want to get to the end of my life on earth and realize I wasted time on worthless things. Prompt me to come to you about things You have already paid for. Give me wisdom to know how to direct my time, my energies, my gifts. Get my attention when you bring opportunities my way but I'm too distracted to realize. I don't want to ponder folly; put your thoughts in my life. I want to live each day to the fullest, and for Your glory.

No comments: