Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Active Labor







After a few hours in the labor room, contractions were getting more intense. My nurse checked me around noon and I was 5-6 cm dilated and 80% effaced. Bo, Joshua, Heather, and Stephanie served as my "epidural" by providing lots of physical, spiritual, and emotional support. I couldn't have done it without them. They helped me stay relaxed and encouraged me that I was getting closer to birthing my baby. We continued with worship music, scriptures, massage, and counter pressure on my back and hips. I'd read about a "pelvic press"; pressure on the top of the hips would cause the pelvis to open because the ligaments are so loose at the end of pregnancy. Bo did this by pushing my hips together with his hands, and after a while he enlisted Joshua's help. Together they pushed as hard as they could, which really helped me through the contractions. Joshua couldn't believe I could stand the force and asked if I had bruises afterward. Heather made sure my shoulders were relaxed. Stephanie wiped my head with a cool towel.

No comments: