Saturday, December 8, 2007

Labor

Early Labor

I went into labor on my own last Wednesday night. I had been in nesting mode that evening. I finished packing my hospital bag and put away diapers from a baby shower that my bible study class gave me that morning. I had been having contractions, but assumed they were the Braxton Hicks contractions that I'd had every day since six months. I took a warm bath and went to bed, figuring they would stop and I'd go to sleep. I laid down around 11:30 or so and had my first labor contraction at midnight. Bo timed every contraction and rubbed my back. He lite candles and massaged me with lavender oil. I laid in the bed until morning; I knew I would need my strength. Around 2:00am we called my friends Heather and Stephanie, who would attend the birth and provide labor support. Since Noah's labor was so fast, I thought it wouldn't be long before we needed to leave for the hospital, but the contractions dragged on and reached finally reached four minutes apart around 7:00am. We labored at home another hour then decided to go to the hospital to get checked. I was 4cm dilated and 60% effaced. Dr. Talley admitted me. Heather, Stephanie, her girls, and our boys arrived and we talked and laughed as labor progressed. As contractions became more intense, we began comfort measures. Bo (and Joshua!) put pressure on my back, I rocked in a rocking chair, sat on a birthing ball, and leaned over the bed, Stephanie read my scriptures to me and Heather rubbed my arms with the lavender oil. More later.....


Rubbing my feet between contractions


Scripture cards



Heather's healing hands



Stephanie, "look at the little hat!"


Birthing ball

No comments: