Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Baby Sick-i-poo






I've been "nursing a sick baby". Isaac has his first cold. Watery eyes, runny nose, cough, fussiness, oh my goodness. He wants the mama all the time. He's not sleeping well, just 30 minutes here and there. He'll cough then cry and it's so pitiful. I can't stand it! Today we were both crying.


I took him to the doctor Monday morning. Not his African doc that I love, but the staff pediatrician that I endure. He examined Isaac and diagnosed his illness, but when he handed him back to me something very strange happened. Heather and I have both noticed that he has this "baby whisperer" thing going on. He calms babies so well it's weird. He's a little weird too. He doesn't have children, never wanted them apparently but has dedicated his career to caring for them. Odd. Then he does this funny hip-swaying dance with babies that just doesn't match his dry personality. So, anyway, he hands Isaac back to me and immediately he starts screaming. Not crying, but screaming. Face turning red and all. It was so sudden and so intense I looked him over to see if he was hurt. Then he turned back toward the doctor and reached his hand out to him. He wanted to go back into his arms! What diabolical spell have you cast upon my child???? The doctor is continuing on with his spill about treating the common cold and doesn't even seem to realize Isaac 's distress. It was so weird. He has never done that even when he wants me!

No comments: