Tuesday, April 22, 2008

You're Different

Isaac's pediatrician is from Nigeria. Her name is Dr. Chenwe Ukaonu. I really like her. She is patient and friendly, thorough with Isaac's care, and I love her African accent! Bo and I have decided to delay Isaac's immunizations, because of the research I did while investigating natural remedies for Caleb's ADHD. It's possible (not everyone agrees) that toxins, chemicals, environmental pollutants, and preservatives in vaccines could affect the brain during the rapid growth that occurs the first two years. Dr. Ukanu seemed surprised that I'd even request this and has been asking me questions at Isaac's check-ups. She is curious about me and wants to know what caused me to seek natural alternatives, if it's related to my faith, etc. She laughed when I showed her the homeopathic teething drops I give Isaac. Looking over his chart, she asked "who delivered him?". I said, "I did, but Dr. Talley was there." She laughed, saying "oh I thought you might have had him at home!" I said no, I went to the hospitial. She said "I bet you had a birth plan!". Oh, yeah. Her questions continued. Were we from here? Did we have a church? What did Bo do? Had Isaac completed our family? Were all four children from the same father? I breastfed them how long? After the interview she concluded, "you're different". Yes. The story of my life. I've always felt I was different, like a salmon, swimming upstream, going against the grain in one way or another, not willing or content to go with the flow. I often feel like an alien, different from those around me. Even with other women, I get frustrated by superficial talk and find it difficult to fit in.

I'm naturally drawn to people who are creative, unique, confident, and "different".

Recently at a church service, my heart was drawn to two people I noticed in the congregation. One was a young man with Down's syndrome. He was sitting on the front row during praise and worship, with both hands lifted high and singing to God with a huge smile on his face. His sweet worship stopped me in my tracks. It was so pure and honest and passionate. I smiled at him. The other person was an older man who had every appearance of being homeless. He came in late and took the last seat in the church, right behind me. He sat quietly and respectfully, but would sing along to old hymns and would say 'amen' after the prayers. After the service, I wanted to speak to him, touch his hand, tell him he was welcome there.

Being "different" is not really a bad thing. Our time on this earth is temporary so it's normal to feel like we just can't get comfortable here. It's like the group "Petra" (yes, I am a child of the 80s!) sings, "we are strangers, we are aliens, we are not of this world.....".

Many of the Old Testament prophets didn't feel like they fit in. Jeremiah said "because of Your hand upon me, I stand alone". Elijah felt so alone and discouraged he said "I'm the only one left". And of course Jesus was so different He rocked everyone's world with His teaching and His miracles. He stirred up the religious folk and wasn't even received by the very ones He came to save.

I guess I'm in good company. :)

No comments: